Mandatory Taxes & Fees

Mandatory Taxes and Fees

On all goods and services purchased through The Falls Hotel and Inn, a 13% HST, $2 accommodation tax per night, and a 7.9% daily hotel levy, will be applied to your hotel stay.

Harmonized Sales Tax

Effective July 1, 2010 the Ontario Retail Sales Tax (PST) was replaced with a value added tax (OVAT) and combined with the federal goods and services tax (GST) to create a federally administered harmonized sales tax (HST).  This new Ontario HST will be encompassing a provincial component (OVAT) and 8% and a federal component (GST) at 5%, for a combined HST rate of 13%.

Municipal Accommodation Tax

The City of Niagara Falls passed By-law No. 2018-104 to implement a mandatory municipal accommodation tax at a rate of $2 per night.

Daily Hotel Levy

The Falls Hotel and Inn has a daily hotel levy at 7.9% of your room rate.  This daily hotel levy is used to supplement levy charges placed upon the hotel. The business improvement association charges The Falls Hotel and Inn a monthly levy to support their extensive public events and activities. The levy is used to support some of the following examples:

  • Niagara Falls Convention Center
  • Improvement of streetscaping and capital assets
  • Special city related events

In addition, the daily hotel levy is used to help The Falls Hotel and Inn fund our recycling and environmental stewardship programs so we can work towards our goal of carbon neutrality.

These funds are used for some of our programs as follows:

  • Departments have been equipped with water coolers to eliminate plastic water bottles
  • Housekeeping chemicals have been replaced with environmentally friendly chemicals
  • Recycling of cooking oils, batteries, light bulbs, electronics, printer toners, cans, oils, beer and wine bottles.
  • Toilet paper is made from recycled paper.
  • Each room is now being furnished with paper and recycling programs bins.